I briefly talked about it in my previous post (beauty list from A to Z) but thought it would be useful to talk about it more thoroughly. So here are some advice I can give you to achieve a peaceful and positive mind set.
Sometimes life is beating you up and you really feel like giving up. You’re exhausted, mentally and physically, you sleep poorly, you’re constantly stressed, sensitive, edgy and cranky, you either empty your fridge or can’t get food down your throat?
Well it looks like you really need a break but for those who can’t, here are a list of some things you can do to take care of yourself and nurture your body and spirit to stay positive 🙂
- Take a moment in your day to do something you really like : read a book, listen to some music, watch a movie or an episode of a drama you like, take a bath, meditate, exercise, do your nails, clean your house or just a room, go shopping, it can be anything as long as you enjoy doing it and get your mind off of your worries.
- Go out : don’t stay home, totally depressed and isolated. Ring your friends and ask them to go out for a drink or a movie. Have brunch, lunch or dinner with them, do whatever you want as long as you get to be surrounded by people who can cheer you up and help you relativize.
- Eat healthy food and detox : I’m not asking you to go on a diet but it has been scientifically proven that eating junk food on a regular basis can affect your well-being (mentally, not just physically). It’s a chemical reaction but basically you’re just feeding your body with the wrong nutrients and it gets upset. So eat vegetables and fruits, fish and meat, don’t eat snacks all day long and if you’re hungry have a cup of tea. Eating healthy food always make me feel better for some reason, the more I eat fries and burger, the worse I feel.
- Drink a lot : we tend to forget drinking. We’re busy and, unless we feel thirsty, we don’t drink. When you feel the thirst setting in, it means that you’ve already reached water loss of 1% which is equivalent to a 10% decrease of your physical capacity. And thus you might feel tired and slow so make sure to drink tons of water throughout your day.
- Exercise : you don’t have to go hard, just make sure to be active at least 30 minutes a day. You can walk, do some cardio at the gym or at home (I recommend the app “Sworkit” for that and I’ll write a full article on it very soon). Your body is built to be trained and challenged so don’t be afraid to include a 20 minutes workout or cardio session in your agenda everyday. If you’d rather have a long session, then you can go for 1 hr 3 times a week 🙂
- Sleep enough : ideally you need to sleep at least 7 hrs a night but I think 8 hrs is better. Turn off your screens at least 30 minutes before going to bed (it stimulates your brain and keeps it from shutting down so stay away from it), so no phones, laptops, ipads or any other kind of electronic device. Find yourself a ritual you can do every night to condition your mind and body to go to sleep. You can meditate, drink some tea (chamomile and lavender are great), read a book, write a journal, listen to calm music, just choose whatever makes you feel relax.
- Don’t compare yourself to others : it’s hard to do. We’re usually competitive and society makes us think that we have to fit in specific categories. But you’re allowed to have your own path and live your life the way you want. You need to ignore what the others are achieving or doing in their lives. Your life is about breaking your own limits and outgrowing yourself to live your best life. You are not in competition with anyone else. Just plan to outdo your past and yourself and not other people.
- Be grateful : we always take things for granted in life (our health, our family, friends, lover, job, house, etc.) but we need to take a step back and look at the great picture. Being healthy, being surrounded by your family and friends, having a job (you may or may not like it at least you’re not jobless and homeless, struggling everyday), having a place to call home, living in a country that isn’t at war… all that could be taken away from us. Everything could be worse, so let’s be grateful for what we have and let’s try not to focus too much on the negative things.
- Get inspiration : I know for sure that when I’m feeling down, reading a self-improvement book, read inspiring articles or watch inspiring videos on Youtube help me feel better. We usually get lost in the trivial things in life and remain focus on details. But sometimes it’s good to take a deep breath and try to look at the world differently.
- Get to know yourself : often when we are confronted to issues in life, we feel lost and powerless, sometimes even confused. I think it’s of major importance to know yourself so that you can reach and create your own happiness. Get to know yourself to balance yourself and your life. If you understand your personality and how your work, then it’ll be easier to know what to do to make you feel better.
Bonus : Learn to love yourself : this may sound cliché but if you’re in a constant fight with your body or your personality, you can have all the money and success you want in life, you’ll never be truly happy. You cannot be perfect and you need to give yourself a break. Challenge yourself is alright and productive but don’t push it too far. Accept who you are with your flaws and qualities, understand that your imperfections make you human and normal. Just learn how to balance them and compensate with your qualities.
Overall, remember that a negative mind will never give you a positive life 🙂